Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Top Ten Things I've Learned in NYC

Hey family,
I'm back in Atlanta ! The land of 2chainz, purple afros and great sweet potato pancakes!! Amen. I was thinking, NYC kinda beat me up a lil bit... but I survived. So I began to reflect ...
 
The Top ten things I've learned about NYC

10. MOVE!!!!! If you don't move fast and with purpose you will miss everything!
-- You will miss your train, your chance to order food, your chance to cross the street, your chance to get in the door and even your chance to succeed.

9. THERE ARE WAAAAY TOO MANY SMELLS!
- This doesnt need explanation but if the scent of a gyro, mixed with Racoon toe has hit you while walking in NYC you know what I mean.

8. SUBWAY ENTERTAINMENT IS EDUCATIONAL
--I have learned that psychosis is just a state of mind... the guy who was staring at me but talking to NO ONE next to him , because NO ONE was next to him was completely harmless. I was the only clutching my purse!

--couples counseling occurs late Saturday night. Alcohol and an emotional woman who feels her relationship hasn't moved on to marriage just yet are the perfect mix for a healthier relationship!
Oh yeah , especially when she yelling to the top of her lungs and he tries to become invisible.

7. NO ONE HAS TIME TO HEAR YOUR SOB STORY
-- I was lost and just needed direction on my 6 block walk to work. So I go an explain that i was lost to a guy that saw my frustration but with 3 words too many he lost interest and kept walking! SMH

6. BODEGAS ARE AN EXCUSE NOT TO HAVE A REAL GROCERY STORE WITHIN A DECENT DISTANCE!!!!
--I was sooooo hungry some nights. The bodega that sold butter crunch cookies, Now&Laters and canned food ...oh and one banana is supposed to be nurishment for a neighborhood?? I was in Harlem and Tradewr Joes was on the Upper West side !!

5. NO ONE IS REALLY BIG ON SAYING EXCUSE ME
-- I found myself bumping into everyone but I was the only one to say excuse me... I got over it in a week. the next thing I know I was walking faster and they were in my way! Bwahahaha


4. SOME PEOPLE WILL CALL BAD FASHION EXPRESSION
--I'm just saying yall! Combat boots, daisy dukes, an old Bill Cosby sweater with the leather patches and thick frames glasses...SMH... I can't tell a brother what to wear.

3.THE FOOD TRUCK IS KING!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to hug my food truck dudes for my falafel wraps... they got me through some hungry times at ABC news.

2. BRUNCH IS A SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE
--Brunch is the to do everywhere but I have no words on how a whole city will find a way to be out to brunch at the same time.

1. BIG BIRD CAN HIDE OUT IN NYC AND FEEL SAFE
--After the debate... I got ya back Big Bird... you will blend-in in NYC.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent post! I definitely agree with the food situation in NY. While I was in NY recently, I even witnessed the only haven for proper nutrition, a fruit/vegetable stand, find a path to corruption as the proprietor proceeded to discreetly drop peach on the chewing gum tattooed pavement place it back among the peach population for resale. I was no longer interested in his wares. And the bodega's proudly display mystery meat in its deli window, and have no reservation in serving burnt turkey bacon on lifeless toast. You have to travel to an actual restaurant to get decent food. However, if you get that food in Times Square, be prepared to leave your first born or a pint of blood because federal reserve notes will not serve as acceptable tender for the debt you will incur when you receive your bill. Ok, I am done ranting. But, again, thank you for this blog medgirl, this may just help provide guidance to someone thinking of traveling to the big apple. Continue your great work. #savebigbird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! I'm so grossed out by the peach though! What's sad is that someone bought it.

      Delete
  2. haha now imagine someone transitioning from such an environment to Atlanta, i was so confused. My first week an old lady offered me sweet tea and i was so confused i walked away, thinking she was trying to poison me. lol
    But yes, that fast paced no fluff environment becomes addicting and it is hard to go elsewhere, and platters is the best street meat in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bashir ! I know what you mean man! I'm from Maryland and I went to a southern HBCU. Oh and I had dreds before they were popular ! Anyhoo, I think you probably hurt that old ladies feelings !

      Delete
  3. Duuuuuuude. I totally feel you on the smells part. I mean, you smell delicious food and sewer at the same time. It's incredibly gross....and delicious. My brain gets confused.

    But. I cosign the heck out of #2- Brunch is spiritual and amazing and the best thing ever. I hope you're having as good a time as I think you are!

    You're sorely missed <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was hilarious, imagine the opposite...so when I go to different places and hear excuse me, and people actual smile, offer help if you even look a bit lost, this is odd nature for me.

    One thing NY will do is give you tough skin! The best part is there is always people. Crazy is never crazy in NY its all just the Norm :-)

    The smells I believe no one ever gets use to, we just make due as best as we can!

    Great Top 10. I would say you have had the ultimate NY experience :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks DocCeej...
    you are so right about the south... when people want to cheerfully speak at 6am.. I'm confused. soo confused. lol

    ReplyDelete