Wednesday, August 29, 2012

So... What made you want to become a doctor?

        Sometimes, I'm almost not sure why I wanted to become a doctor and sometimes I just know that I need to finish residency and that is all! It happens in medical school as well. You are so tired that you are cross-eyed and before you know it, you are back at the hospital (for me that's mainly Grady Memorial Hospital or the VA) and you are back at it! Getting sign out from the night float residents, looking at labs, seeing patients, instructing interns, talking to nurses, rushing to morning report,  rounding with attendings, noon conference (please let there be FREE food), run the list, top priority procedures, round on needed follow ups, run the list, sign out... and hopefully home is sight. Depending on your specialty, the daily occurrences of a resident's life on wards might differ, but this is definitely likely in many a internal medicine resident's day.

      Honestly, sometimes I am too tired to remember the exact reason why I am doing this until a wonderful patient or an interesting case reminds me. For many of the future doctors, residents and attendings one might come across, the reason for wanting to become a physician is different. Some of us had a sick relative, while some of us had to overcome illness as a child. Some of us wanted to be Superman and that superhero complex translated to medicine. Even in today's economy with students loans the highest they have ever been, some of us are still want to become physicians for the idea of wealth and status. If any of these are your reasons... thats okay. They are yours!! Just remember you have to love it. Okay.. I will take it back. You should love it. Only the love will keep you dedicated when you just don't feel like studying or maybe Sallie Mae!? Either way you need to have that extra something deep down in your soul that makes you go through the 3 to 5 year process of pledging     M-Phi-D. Bare with me ... me-phi-me just won't cut it in residency ! Trust me!

     So... my reason for pledging wanting to become a physician? Injustice. I have a story. Like to hear it? Here it go!! When I was seven years old, (violins playing softly in the background) while in the kitchen,my mommy (yes... I still call her that) told me a story about Dr. Charles Drew, MD. He was an African American physician and pioneer. In short, this young doctor had perfected the technique used blood transfusions thus helping  to save lives in World War II and while on a trip to a conference in Pennsylvania from Howard University School of Medicine (where he taught), he died. How? He died in need of a blood transfusion. He was in a car accident and it was believed that he initially went to a hospital that did not serve "people of color" and was turned away. By the time he had reached a "colored" hospital he ... just didn't make it. Sad story? yes. Empowering ? More than you can ever know. I wasn't angry at those who discriminated against him. This had occurred before my birth. However, at the age of seven, I knew I wanted to make health care accessible to all. Of course we dont live in the days where the color of someone's skin will prevent them from getting treatment. However, lack of compassion from any physician of any race or ethnic background can make them miss a key point in the history that they could obtain from a patient that could save his or her life!!!! Health care is not a priviledge its a right so... Im serving it up !

     I try to remember Dr. Charles Drew everywhere I go, especially when I walk through the halls of Grady Memorial. Grady's history is a beautiful and complicated one as the hospital used to be split into two parts. The "A and B" wards were for "whites" and the "C and D" wards were for "blacks." In the wonderful words of Jay Z, "We off that!" Now, Grady is blended and quite adventurous, I might add. However, I find it a priviledge to serve everyone and to hopefully save a life in the process. So... my question to you is what made you want to become a doctor?

8 comments:

  1. It amazes me how complex becoming and BEING a doctor is! I think so many think being a doctor is a high profile, highly paid profession that a person studys for a few years and POW they have a 9-5 in a hospital or private practice and drive a SLK Mercedes...so wrong! So many loans, so much history, so much info, so LITTLE sleep!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Skinny Rainbow... the goal of an MD/DO or any health care provider should be to serve because it doesn't necessarily lead to riches all of the time. Your average doc just wants to be comfortable and take care of his or her family.

      Delete
  2. I became a doctor to help others. I feel that I can be a great advocate for my patients. Now in my new phase of my career, my job is to advocate for my residents to assure the best education possible so that they can take the best care of their patients

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by ! i think as a resident I try not to forget that I am an advocate, not just for my patients but for the med students as well and with our schedules that can be tough. However,I think sometimes as MDs we forget we have a voice that can actually be manifested by our actions.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story with the world. The world of medicine is so very foreign to me, but you tell your story in a way that both delights and intrigues. Thank you so much doctor. You are undoubtedly a blessing to all those who know you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly Adams, M.D.September 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM

    I became a physician because it seemed to be the only thing I knew. I have sickle cell disease and hospitals or a doctor's office seemed to be my second home growing up. I wanted to get a better understanding of sickle cell, but most importantly, I wanted to understand why I was so different from other girls growing up. I was a "late bloomer" but why. There had to be a reason and there had to be others out there that needed help understanding some of the things I have struggled with for years trying to understand myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Adams your story is awesome! I'm not sure if people and you colleagues truly understand what you have done to get to this point! WOW. I'm not sure of the field you are in but I'm sure your patients are inspired.

      Delete